Deep Q forex

Deep Q Forex: Basic Discussion

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  simplex 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Latest discussion between Peter and me in the What’s New branch of this group has become too unclear, so I decided to start this forum topic inside the group – should be much easier to follow.

I will start by reposting our latest 2 news posts for a start.

s.

A good trader is a realist who wants to grab a chunk from the body of a trend, leaving top- and bottom-fishing to people on an ego trip. (Dr. Alexander Elder)

simplex wrote:

Interesting vid! The ‘Theory of Everything’, and physical Unified Field Theory being only a part of it ? Wow – this guy has really got a vision! And all this uncovered by AI algorithms. Forgive me if I’m a bit doubtful about this.
        Back to our ‘simple’ FX business. After having learnt a bit more about the general approach, I might see those 52% success rate in a different light now, and I wonder what would happen if we modified what the speaker called the ‘Environment’ in his slides:
        a) offer Deep Q a longer data history to learn from
        b) offer it a broader data universe, say all OHLC+V of all crosses of EUR, CHF, GBP, USD, CAD, AUD, NZD, JPY to learn from
        c) offer it a dynamic model of pair specific trading cost
        and then let it learn.
        Learn for how long?
        Which computing resources (CPU, RAM) provided?
        Question above all: What exactly is the ‘Goal’ we’re setting up for the learning process?
        Secondary question: is it wise to add additional time series, say indicator data, or would this compromise the uniqueness of the approach?
        Anyway, I’m still interested in some conceptual papers, rather than conference speaks. Sorry for being so oldfashioned!
        And I would be interested in some modeling details about that ‘marketcheck’ link you provided in your first post.
        s.

A good trader is a realist who wants to grab a chunk from the body of a trend, leaving top- and bottom-fishing to people on an ego trip. (Dr. Alexander Elder)

Peter wrote:

Interesting vid! The ‘Theory of Everything’, and physical Unified Field Theory being only a part of it ? Wow – this guy has really got a vision! And all this uncovered by AI algorithms. Forgive me if I’m a bit doubtful about this.

Google brought his company for $400 Million, maybe the saw something of interest.

Back to our ‘simple’ FX business. After having learnt a bit more about the general approach, I might see those 52% success rate in a different light now, and I wonder what would happen if we modified what the speaker called the ‘Environment’ in his slides:

Yes you can feed the network more data anytime frame any market, I feed it with 66,000 rows of data, but you can add more if you wish

b) offer it a broader data universe, say all OHLC+V of all crosses of EUR, CHF, GBP, USD, CAD, AUD, NZD, JPY to learn from

Yes

and then let it learn.

Yes, this also fine and good idea

Learn for how long?

Data depend few minutes to a few hours

The higher the better, large network models can from the use of super computer this can be hired on a time basis from Amazon,

Question above all: What exactly is the ‘Goal’ we’re setting up for the learning process?

Goal is simply a reward I choose maximum pips per trade an example you can use percentage correct as a Goal/Reward if you wish

Secondary question: is it wise to add additional time series, say indicator data, or would this compromise the uniqueness of the approach?

Yes this is fine and encouraged

Anyway, I’m still interested in some conceptual papers, rather than conference speaks. Sorry for being so oldfashioned!

Yes paper available at http://arxiv.org/pdf/1312.5602v1.pdf

And I would be interested in some modeling details about that ‘marketcheck’ link you provided in your first post.

Currently working on site will be available in the future

(Above chat recompiled by simplex)

Participant

<b><i><u>Google brought his company for $400 Million, maybe the saw something of interest.</u></i></b>

<b><i><u>Yes you can feed the network more data anytime frame any market, I feed it with 66,000 rows of data, but you can add more if you wish</u></i></b>

<b><i>Yes </i></b>

and then let it learn.

<i><u>Yes, </u></i><i><u>this also fine and good idea</u></i>
            <!– [if !supportLineBreakNewLine]–>
            <!–[endif]–>

Learn for how long?

<i><u>Data depend few minutes to a few hours </u></i><i><u>
            <!–[endif]–>
            </u></i>

<b><i><u>The higher the better, large network models can from the use of super computer this can be hired on a time basis from Amazon, </u></i></b><b><i><u>
            <!–[endif]–>
            </u></i></b>

<b style=”mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;”><i style=”mso-bidi-font-style: normal;”><u>Goal is simply a reward I choose maximum pips per trade an example you can use percentage correct as a Goal/Reward if you wish </u></i></b><b style=”mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;”><i style=”mso-bidi-font-style: normal;”><u><br style=”mso-special-character: line-break;” /> <!– [if !supportLineBreakNewLine]–><br style=”mso-special-character: line-break;” /> <!–[endif]–></u></i></b>

This morning I came across the following article: http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/02/ai-masters-49-atari-2600-games-without-instructions/

The examples mentioned in many articles seem to be attempts to let a Deep Q network learn how to master Atari games without any instruction. I’m no expert in Atari games. At first sight an Atari game appeared to me much more complex than our ‘simple’ forex models.

But there’s one big difference, IMO: a simple Atari game is a closed system, with a very limited number of different events displayed on screen for the user to deal with in order to increase his score. Main challenge for the user is to cope with new types of objects appearing on screen from level to level, and increasing velocity of objects.

If we’re setting up a Forex model that is compact enough to be handled, this system is not closed. It is influenced by the ‘outer’ world not considered in our model, thus changing the preconditions of our modeling environment constantly.

The real challenge in setting up such a model seems to be to design it in a way that model fluctuations triggered by external influences are limited in their impact regarding our model and its predictive power after the learning process.

Participant

This is interesting. Some kind of nnea neural network that can be used as a pr3dictor ?

Just a quick note. I’ve read the following article this morning: http://www.financial-hacker.com/whites-reality-check/

One short quote:

It gets even more diffcult with machine learning algorithms that optimize weight factors and usually do not produce discarded variants.

Maybe it’s interesting to keep an eye on this ‘White’s Reality Check’ when considering to dig deeper in Deep Q.

s.

Participant

Hello Group

The bottom line is find an edge, in future I’ll add basic indicators such as moving average, bands or RSI as an input then monitor results

Also it possible to add close prices inter-market related data

The demo at https://youtu.be/QJHpaIZ7o_c  is based on 5 minutes raw price data nothing else , and it attempting to place 1)Buy Exit open, 2)Sell exit open  or 3)Do Nothing

If we have any  Javascript programmers in the group we can accelerate progress, source code will be posted at https://github.com/AIForex

Note anyone with CSV data can now cut and paste data window at ai.marketcheck.co.uk/Forex  and update group with results

Thanks

Peter

ai.marketcheck.co.uk/Forex

Hi Peter!

Could you possibly post some more details about the Deep Q environment and your personal experience with it?

• In case a group member would like to experiment for himself: which software and runtime environment is required?
                      • Where are download sources?
                      • Is it open source?
                      • Recommended tutorials or other resources?
                      • etc. …

You’ve done a first step: some Penguin members are interested to learn more.

IMO, you’re now suggesting a third or forth step before the second one is done. I would suggest to answer some basic conceptual questions now, and after that step back and consider what makes sense next. And most of all I would like to discuss basics, pro’s and con’s of this method. See my Atari vs. Forex post above: what’s your opinion about that?

To me, just adding some indicator values like MAs, Band, or RSI feels a bit like pure activism without a plan.

I would prefer to set up a plan first. But this is just my personal opinion, and you might have reasons to prefer a different strategy.

s.

Participant

Hello

If you would like further information on the source code and operation, theory  you can check http://cs.stanford.edu/people/karpathy/convnetjs/demo/rldemo.html

1)The first step has already been taken into add raw Forex data  to network

2) Add further inputs such as simply indicators

3) Build Node.js App  to integrate to metatrader 4

All source code plans and notes  would be available  at https://github.com/AIForex

The current results is interesting, and would expand with new findings and information

With regards to the Atari demo I see that the demo can be expanded to the Forex markets provided that the environment is adjusted to suit trading styles, the method, that I have incorporated is my style of trading …

I feel the Algo would benefit using good quality leading indicators and perhaps inter-market Forex data

I believe no Algo can would work on the markets without applying human trading experience,  the main point about this Deep Q it feedback Algorithm that is always learning and improving this is key feature as markets continually change

Regards

Peter

Let’s consider I’d like to set up a local Deep Q environment.

What would be my steps to take before integrating to MT4 via Node.js?

Best,

s.

Participant

I have chosen to implement version shown in http://cs.stanford.edu/people/karpathy/convnetjs/demo/rldemo.html

Although  you research and write your own version by studying white paper at http://arxiv.org/pdf/1312.5602v1.pdf

The code is written in JavaScript so it can be ran in your browser, my suggestion if you want to run it locally then simply copy file from ai.marketcheck.co.uk/Forex  transfer to your  locally on your computer, I will make source code files aviable at https://github.com/AIForex

Hope this helps

Thanks

Peter

Participant

Hi sim

I think you will like this one,

http://jmathfx.com/en/

sorry its Italy language,I still have many cant understand.

Regards.

my suggestion if you want to run it locally then simply copy file from ai.marketcheck.co.uk/Forex transfer to your locally on your computer

And how would a typical process of system development and optimization look like working on your ai.marketcheck.co.uk/Forex platform?

Which is the format an algorithm / network is forwarded to MT after the learning process?

Which limitations do apply regarding number of rows / columns?

Re. optimization: how to avoid over-optimization / curve fitting? I think this would only make sense, if we implemented robustness against changing market sentiments as one ‘must have’ goal of the learning process. For example: the first part of the learning process is done on EURUSD exclusively, and then the resulting algorithm / network is tested on different pairs, defining the second part of the learning process, given the same timeframe and time interval. Do you think that this would be possible?

s.

Participant

Hello

The network Deep Q which is based on re-enforcement learning , the algorithm would continue learn on-line until results cannot be improved,

The result of the network learning would be transferred  to MT,

The idea using a Node.js app,  is to use data from MT (OHLC and indicator data ) to feed  Deep Q Nework as input

The deep Q network would perform its calculation then the output can be feed back to MT for our use.

This information can be displayed as an indicator or used as part of a trading system

At the moment the demo uses 5 columns which is simply (Date Open High Low and Close) plans in  to expand columns so that indicator data can be used,  this can be intermarket close information or simple indicators such as moving average rsi, or bands

The network can work with any Data EURUSD , GBPUSD, etc I have ran network using 66000 rows

The you-tube demo  https://youtu.be/QJHpaIZ7o_c uses 5 min data,  The network goal is the maximise points/pips over time, for more robust network I can focus the goal on average profit per trade, of which is the single best measure  of network performance 

My suggestion is to simply cut and paste your desired data set into the Deep Q Demo website ai.marketcheck.co.uk/Forex then monitor results

Hope this helps

Peter

I think you will like this one, http://jmathfx.com/en/ sorry its Italy language

I came across that a while ago. It seems interesting technically, but IMO, a test phase of 15 days on demo before having to open a live account is not enough to check it out. I certainly will try it when I’m having some more spare time for an intensive test.

s.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.